Monday, January 18, 2016

Fourth Preparation Day in The Mission Field


Mark Owen Vickers

3:32 PM (3 hours ago)
to DeAnneme
Hey,

Thank you both so much for your letters with my jacket. I will be keeping those for sure!

To answer a few of your questions;

The apartment is super nice, roomy, and modern. We have space for our bikes, room to work out, a study area, so much room. 

Elder Roper is a great trainer. He is from Pocatello, Idaho. He got accepted to BYU Provo prior to coming out on the mission and deferred until he returns home. He has been out about 6 months in the mission field. 

The ward is great. Lots of people that work for oil and gas companies like Exxon Mobile, Shell, Chevron, and Anadarko to name a few. This ward reminds me a lot of our current home ward. Lots of well off people but very caring/humble. 

Our investigators are slowly progressing. We are teaching a guy by the name of Markeith age 20 who has been taught some in the past. At the moment we have taught the Restoration but have not been able to proceed as he lacks motivation to read from the Book of Mormon. We have been reading with him from passages like Alma 32 and trying to help him identify his desires. 

We are also teaching a woman named Nellie and her son Jackson. She is mid-40's and he is 13. They both have a great spirit about them. Jackson had perfect questions during our lesson like "Does God really speak to us?"  We taught him about how the Spirit confirms to us truth as a still small voice. "How do we know a good prophet" We learn in Matthew 7 this is by their fruits and a fruit of the Prophet Joseph Smith is the Book of Mormon. 

I have to say I've learned so much is such a short time it can be a bit overwhelming. It's nice to know that I am not the true teacher. My obligation, I suppose you could say, is simply to present the message simply and to invite the Spirit so that our investigators can come to know the truth for themselves. 

Love ya!




P.S. Thank you for the Doritos!




"One of my favorite pics! I'm not sure if I have it anywhere but I have a suspicion Laura might make me a book of pictures with me and Elly in it. :)"






No comments:

Post a Comment