Monday, November 7, 2016

Week of November 7, 2016

  At the zoo

DEANNE VICKERS deannevick@gmail.com

Sep 26
to Mark
I've been organizing files and found a journal entry about you when you were about 7.   Do you remember this?   We lived in Michigan and we were at Sacrament meeting and they announced that the Ward was supposed to come to the temple Wednesday night and that all the families were invited. And so you were so excited you got home and you were like dad, mom....our entire Family gets to go to the temple  every Wednesday!  

I saw how excited you were and I thought that is so great I didn't want to tell you that you had to be 12 before you could participate.  I said well sweetheart what the word is asking is that people can sign up and go to the temple but you have to be 12. You looked so sad and told me but I already got to go with daddy I said I know you did get to go visit and you will be able to go soon.   I said why do you want to go to the temple? And you said when I went to the open house with dad it was so wonderful I want to go bad



Mark Owen Vickers

Oct 17
to me
Well I was in the Houston North Zone, haha but now I'm in the Woodlands Zone. 



Mark Owen Vickers

4:42 PM (3 hours ago)
to me, bcc: me
Hi Family and Friends,

Another great week here in Spring, Texas. We are working with so many great people right now. Among those are Randi and her children Tanaya and Terrell. We were able to visit them yesterday and introduce family history research to Tanaya. She was so excited to research her ancestors and to have her family tree all filled in. Looking back I never would have imagined that people would be calling me a family history guru. Go figure. It really is true that the Lord makes more of us than we could ever make of ourselves. 

We are also working with Tomas, Stormy, and Carlos. Tomas is a great man with great desires to learn all he can about our Savior Jesus Christ. As we met with him you could tell that questions he had always had were being answered and in ways he did not expect. We left him with an invitation to read the first 15 chapters from the Book of Mormon and to pray to know that it is truly another testament of Jesus Christ. 

Something that was brought to our attention at Zone Meeting, a meeting where a group of missionaries meet and discuss the progress in the larger area in which we all serve, was that rather than refer to ourselves as simply missionaries in our interactions with others is that we should try saying instead 'we are representatives of Jesus Christ'. Truly we bear His name and should remember this always. 

We also have the opportunities to volunteer in this area on Wednesdays at the PCI Ranch and Special Angels. PCI is a Christian horse ranch where those with mental or physical disabilities are able to come and receive therapy through horse riding. We help clean up the property and bag hay from bales into hay bags. It's a good change of pace and great to serve an organization doing so much good. Our other opportunity to serve on Wednesday is with Special Angels of the Woodlands. They are a dayhab for Adults with special needs. Most weeks we play monopoly with a young man named Aaron. He loves monologue and playing with the missionaries. 

As King Benjamin tells us in the Book of Mormon 'And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.' Mosiah 2:17

I know this is true and I have felt His love as I serve. I invite everyone for this week to look for an opportunity to serve in some way you have not done in the past and promise as you do so that more joy will come into your life from your service. 

Until next week,

-- Elder Mark Vickers




DEANNE VICKERS deannevick@gmail.com

9:11 AM (11 hours ago)
to MarkSpencer
I wish i could convey to you both how much your dad loves and misses you:)  He gets very tender.  He says he will probably grab onto the both of you when you get home and not let go!:)


so cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment