Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Week of May 2, 2016

Sunday, May 1, 2016

Priesthood Power

To the Missionaries of the Great Texas Houston Mission,

We attended a stake conference last night and were reminded by one of the speakers that those who heard the Savior teach were astonished (Matt 7:28). If we also read in Luke 4, we learn a little more about why they were astonished:

32 And they were astonished at his doctrine: for his word was with power.

The Savior taught with power that astonished. As representatives of Jesus Christ we must also strive to cultivate power in our teaching. This is a process. We begin through our own preparation and study to "obtain the word." (PMG ch 2) Revelation comes more abundantly as we think deeply about what we are learning and how we might apply what we are learning to those we have been entrusted to teach.

Once we have learned WHAT to teach, we need to learn the skills to know HOW to teach effectively. These are found in PMG ch 10. Learning to ask questions to find out what people understand and then listening carefully to their answers (rather than what we want to say next) will invite revelation into our minds and hearts as well as theirs. Once this happens we can testify boldly and promise the blessings that the Lord has already promised all who will "come and see." (Jn 1:39)

Even with these skills developed, the effective missionary will understand that power comes from being connected to The Source of Power. Teaching with power is much more than teaching with boldness. With this in mind, we would like invite you to read two talks on this subject:

1. Power of the Priesthood by President Boyd K. Packer. Pay particular attention to the last six paragraphs to understand why learning to teach with power is so vital to you both while you are a full time missionary and later after your mission.

2. The Price of Priesthood Power by President Russell M. Nelson. Pay particular attention to the last 11 paragraphs. To read about how to cultivate Priesthood power.

Even though these relate to some degree to men, when Sisters are laboring under Priesthood authority as you are, you are entitled to the same power. This power can only be received as we become more like the source of that power even Jesus Christ.

We love you and love to see the quality of teaching that is beginning to define you.

Love,

President and Sister Mortensen







Mark Owen Vickers

May 2
to LancemeSpencer
Lookin fly my brother. Are you guys still going to Manilla 8th ward?

On Sun, May 1, 2016 at 9:56 AM, Lance Vickers <vickers463@gmail.com> wrote:
Our new kitchen

DEANNE VICKERS deannevick@gmail.com

May 2
to Mark
I will be speaking for Mother's Day this Sunday but then we will be in a new PG ward.  However I think I told you both you and Spence are still Manila 8th ward members....(I think Bishop and President Livingston are a little partial to you:)  So your homecomeing will be there too!

DEANNE VICKERS deannevick@gmail.com

AttachmentsMay 2
to Lance
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lance Vickers <vickers463@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, May 1, 2016 at 8:56 AM
Subject: Ready for church😂
To: deannevick@gmail.com, Spencer Vickers <spencer.vickers@myldsmail.net>, Mark Owen Vickers <mark.vickers@myldsmail.net>


Our new kitchen



DEANNE VICKERS deannevick@gmail.com

AttachmentsApr 30
to SpencerMark
Came by to help with the move!!!  It was so nice
2 Attachments

Mark Owen Vickers

May 2
to meSpencer
That was really nice!   Is she turning her papers in soon?

DEANNE VICKERS deannevick@gmail.com

May 2
to Mark
She is leaving in June I believe to Milan, Italy!!!  I am going to her farewell on May 28:)

Mark Owen Vickers

May 2
to me
Haha! I don't know. Nobody tells me anything. :)    That is going to be an awesome mission!

DEANNE VICKERS deannevick@gmail.com

May 2
to Mark
It's true:)  Or we all think we have already told you:)










DEANNE VICKERS deannevick@gmail.com

May 1
to MarkSpencer
So our new apartment is just south of The American Fork hospital and state street.  They are brand new.  We hired 2 men and a truck to get the heavier items like the piano😂   
We told thecwardvwe will probably need them for Laura and Bryans move because they are aski,g their stuff and a lot of our storage.  They will be renting a 4 bedroom home in South Salt Lake that has a big garage and a basement.  It belongs to Sister Welch who was our first Relief Society president in Texas!

DEANNE VICKERS deannevick@gmail.com

May 1
to MarkSpencer
Interesting because our family is related to Welches and I prayed for ancestors to help us all find places to live. 

Mark Owen Vickers

May 2
to me
I'm really glad everything is working out. Will Laura and Bryan be storing most of the family stuff then?

DEANNE VICKERS deannevick@gmail.com

May 2
to Mark
Yes.  They will have a nice basement there.   Lets' just pray Bryan gets into the U for medical school:)  If not dad and I will get a storage for all of your things over here by us.  

Mark Owen Vickers

May 2
to me
Yeah that would be good if they can stay close. No worries. hopefully my stuff doesn't take up too much room.





DEANNE VICKERS deannevick@gmail.com

AttachmentsMay 1
to MarkSpencer
Bryan and Elly putting up our tv!
Attachments area

Mark Owen Vickers

May 2
to meSpencer
I bet she was tons of help! :p   Did Bryan help you find a wall mount for it?

DEANNE VICKERS deannevick@gmail.com

May 2
to Mark
Actually Skyler located it pretty cheaply for me and B hung it up.  Love our family!!!

Mark Owen Vickers

May 2
to me
Nice! Those are really good space savers. :)





DEANNE VICKERS deannevick@gmail.com

May 2
to Mark
Any luck getting your birthday packages yet?

Mark Owen Vickers

May 2
to me
Haha. Not yet. We are about an hour from the mission office in our current area. We do have Elder McDonald's 8 week followup this week so we will be there on Wednesday and I plan on getting them all then. :) Can't wait! Do any of them have perishables in them?

DEANNE VICKERS deannevick@gmail.com

May 2
to Mark
Maybe it's been awhile:)  did you ever get your flashdrive(music)

Mark Owen Vickers

May 2
to me
Not yet. Was that sent to the mission office or the apartment?

DEANNE VICKERS deannevick@gmail.com

May 2
to Mark
Probably mission home....You will have to tell me the inventory of everything:)  I think there are quite a few packages there:)

Mark Owen Vickers

May 2
to me
Ok good. If the apartment then I probably won't be able to get it. haha   I'll let you know what all comes to make sure the post man didn't run away with them.




Mark Owen Vickers

May 2
to me
How does Lance like the new room? How many bedrooms is the new apartment?

On Sat, Apr 30, 2016 at 10:22 PM, DEANNE VICKERS <deannevick@gmail.com> wrote:

DEANNE VICKERS deannevick@gmail.com

May 2
to Mark
I love it when you and Spence are on at the same time!!!  Did we figure out a good Skype time for you this Sunday?

The apartment has two bedrooms.  My prayer is that Lance leaves on his mission a year from now, so that you and or Spence will be able to use the 2nd bedroom while getting your feet back in the water when you get home:)   

DEANNE VICKERS deannevick@gmail.com

May 2
to Mark
He loves having a door:)  and his own bathroom:)

Mark Owen Vickers

May 2
to me
Let's plan on 6:30pm CST next Sunday for Skype. Could you shoot me Lance's login again. :)

I bet he does. It's been awhile. haha

DEANNE VICKERS deannevick@gmail.com

May 2
to Mark
Yes!

DEANNE VICKERS deannevick@gmail.com

May 2
to Mark
Dad and I are carebears on Skype

Mark Owen Vickers

May 2
to me
Ok could I snag a login ID and password? I don't have mine on hand. 

DEANNE VICKERS deannevick@gmail.com

May 2
to MarkSpencer
Our Skype name is cudabears

Spencer Vickers

May 2
to me
Oh!!! Hahahaha. Totally forgot about that for a second. Sounds good. 

DEANNE VICKERS deannevick@gmail.com

May 2
to MarkSpencer
Sorry I get confused:)

47temple

DEANNE VICKERS deannevick@gmail.com

May 2
to MarkSpencer
Our Skype username and password

Mark Owen Vickers

May 2
to me
no worries. :) Thanks

DEANNE VICKERS deannevick@gmail.com

May 2
to MarkSpencer
how does it all work?  Our name is cudabears but you have to have a username and password on your ends too?

Mark Owen Vickers

May 2
to me
Yeah, I have to login to Skype on this end so I can find ya. Gonna write a weekly update now. :)


















DEANNE VICKERS deannevick@gmail.com

May 2
to Mark
Is there anything you need?  or would like?

Mark Owen Vickers

May 2
to me
I'm doing pretty good. This week was a bit rough with headaches but doing better at the moment. :)

DEANNE VICKERS deannevick@gmail.com

May 2
to Mark
Wow. Sinus?

Mark Owen Vickers

May 2
to me
Not sure. Felt more like migraines. 

DEANNE VICKERS deannevick@gmail.com

May 2
to Mark
Yuk lasted a few days....?

Mark Owen Vickers

May 2
to me
Yeah, it was sort of on and off again throughout this week. 

DEANNE VICKERS deannevick@gmail.com

May 2
to Mark
Maybe try watching your soy intake. 

Mark Owen Vickers

May 2
to me
Yeah, I was thinkin the same thing. Is dad home yet from dialysis? 

Mark Owen Vickers

May 2
to me
I have some pictures I'm going to try to send home of the pond from my weekly update.



Mark Owen Vickers

May 2
to bcc: me
Howdy,

This week started off pretty great. After emailing last Preparation Day my companion and I went to a members house in the ward. This place is really more of a ranch; it sits on about 5 acres. He has about 6 horses and 15 head of cattle for roping competitions. The best part in my opinion is the pond out back. He has it stocked with fish including around 200 bass, 200 catfish, and 500 small perch. It was a blast.

After a bit of fun we got to work. Unfortunately I wasn't feeling my best this week so that limited out productivity. We were, however, able to teach ***** this week. She is doing great. We had a church tour with this last week and she commented that you could feel a different tranquility inside the church. We talked about the different spirit that can be felt at church. Don't get me wrong, it can be hard to feel this all the time every Sunday, but we do receive a "re-charge" if you will as we attend with the right attitude. I love this Gospel. The church is true.


Until next week,

DEANNE VICKERS deannevick@gmail.com

May 2
to Mark
Awesome!!  Prayers for you, your companio ***** and all💜💙💜💙








          























No comments:

Post a Comment