Friday, December 25, 2015

First Letter Home from Mission Field. First area


Mark Owen Vickers

Dec 21 (4 days ago)
Hey Everyone,

Sorry it's been awhile. We had just the one P-day in the MTC. This first area is great. My trainer's name is Elder Roper. I have so much to learn from him. 

When we arrived in the field my mission president and his wife took us to their home where we had some classic Texas BBQ. It was the best! That night we spent in a local missionary apartment. The missionaries living there seemed to have packed in a hurry. The next morning we had breakfast at the mission home, also delicious. We then were taken to the Houston temple to tour the grounds. It is by far one of the most gorgeous temples I have ever seen. The grounds must be card for by a master gardener. 

My first area is called Spring Creek here in Houston. We are on bikes which is great exercise and we get to meet more people. In fact we were able to "street contact" a man named Allen who seems genuinely interested in the Gospel. I have already learned so much from my trainer and am working to take full advantage of a program called "12 week" which is designed to help new missionaries learn as much in the first 12 weeks as possible. The pattern in the mission is grow a bit, think you've got it down, realize you don't and grow some more.

Last night we had another flat tire, our second in a number of days. I can't say bike repair is what I planned on doing on a mission. It easily could have foiled our efforts for the day, however we were able to repair the bike and go as planned to a dinner with a member family. Dinner was great and we shared a message with them about the true meaning of Christmas. From dinner we went tracting in the local neighborhood. First few houses nothing. The night previous nothing. Then something happened and we were able to share one of the Christmas videos onChristmas.Mormon.Org  From there it only got better. On one street we were able to find a number of new investigators. The Spirit was so strong as we shared our message with this neighborhood. 

I know this is where I am supposed to be. I know the Lord needs me here.         My First Companion, Elder Roper and I.  Sister Lynn Wright took this picture for mom.



No comments:

Post a Comment